The Last Stand Against Wallpaper

Alright, you’re probably tired of wallpaper by now…trust me – so were we.

One of the big┬átreats to ourselves in this house was getting a master bedroom done. Our bedroom in the last house wasn’t very big compared to the room that lives in the big dormer of this house with all the windows. And 2 walk-in closets! Renovating the Master Bedroom also meant we were going to get a new bed and all the fixings! Its rare that a remodeling project comes complete with new furniture and decor in our world. So this was SUPER exciting for me.

Once Dylan got all the wallpaper down there was some repair work to do. Did we mention there was a hole in the wall?

2014-06-04 17.19.34

Hello Neighbors!

Hello Neighbors!

The previous owners had a portable AC unit that needed to be vented and I assume because there are casement windows in this room, they thought it would be better to just cut a hole in the wall to the outside underneath the roofline of the dormer. When we first looked at the house there was an armoire blocking the hole – because it was December so obviously you didn’t need the AC! That right there is logic.

So Dylan patched the hole in the wall and textured the walls to hide the plaster imperfections. Next up was painting more trim bright white like we did downstairs, a new wall color and finally the floors.

Wall repair

Wall repair and texture.

The walls went a soft purple, which is still growing on me and a diversion from most of the greys/blues we’ve used before. But we kept the bedding and decor white and grey, so a little bit of color on the walls seemed necessary. A coat of fresh ceiling paint went up. A new ceiling fan went up, but we ended up leaving off the light fixture because the color of the globe is weird. For now we just use the table lights on the nightstand. And all our clothes are in the closets (sort of – story for another post) with dedicated lights, so it works for us.

How you paint with a toddler on the weekends. This sort of worked.

How you paint with a toddler on the weekends. This sort of worked.

2014-11-02 08.53.29

In all the other rooms upstairs we painted the floors a mint-green color…which is fine. I think we’ve decided we don’t love it, but it works. But in the master we decided to go with something a little bolder. I definitely wanted the master to have a retreat feel from the rest of the house. There is nothing better in my mind than a swanky hotel room – and if I could sleep in one in my own house each night, that is what I want.

So the floors got painted an almost black grey. We used Benjamin Moore floor paint in their oil-based product which I think they’ve now discontinued. It took 2 coats but it dries quickly and I did it during the day while P was at daycare because its pretty stinky stuff.

2014-11-04 09.15.38

Then the fun part of shopping came!

We got a new memory-foam King size bed from local company, Parklane Mattresses, along with some new pillows. These are definitely the people to go to if you’re looking for a new bed. And after sleeping on it for several months, we’re still both huge fans.

2014-11-07 13.46.44

I’ve dreamed of the bedding from Restoration Hardware for years. The duvet was a splurge but its SO soft. Sheets came from Macy’s Hotel Collection, also a bit of a splurge, but seriously – sleeping is the best. And they go on sale regularly, so if you’re patient you can get a decent deal on really great sheets.

We had some long discussions about the curtains – we needed SOMETHING to cover the 5 windows that take up almost the entire wall on the front of the house. The ones that face the street, so all our neighbors can see in if the lights are on. After scouring the web, Restoration Hardware came to the rescue again. They were the only place I could find curtains in a 100″ width which meant we only needed 2 curtains! A standard width would have meant at least 4 panels, and it would have been weird opening them in different places. The linen fabric is sheer enough that it lets in some light during the day, or they are easy to pull open on the sides. But the are definitely private enough for nighttime and block the light from streetlights.

Dylan also custom built the curtain rod out of pipe…of some kind. Something industrial and spray painted it a dark bronze. I was a little terrified it was going to come crashing down and murder us in our sleep, but I’m still alive so I don’t think its going anywhere. Because the span was so long, buying a curtain rod wasn’t really an option.

Last piece was a grey rug my mom and I found at Home Goods. Its super soft and anchors the room. While the dark floors are cool, the rug really helped it feel more cozy while still dark and calming. Here’s the final (for now). We want to build some nightstands instead of our cheap Ikea tables – but they work for now.

2015-02-18 16.26.53 2015-02-18 16.27.32

Advertisements